Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Blu-Ray is the winner!

That's right folks, the format war is now over. Toshiba held a press conference in Tokyo over 12 hours ago, and announced that they would stop manufacturing HD-DVD players and discs. They pretty much stated that they would completely stop manufacturing HD-DVD and start limiting the amount of HD-DVD products, and stop shipping HD-DVD players and recorders by the end of March. That means the movie industry can focus on getting everyone's attention on high definition with Blu-Ray.

Universal Studios responded to Toshiba's decision today by announcing they would switch over to Blu-Ray. This will be the first time that Universal Studios is producing anything on the Blu-Ray format, as they supported the HD-DVD format since it started, up until now. That leaves Paramount Pictures to switch back over to Blu-Ray, which I won't be surprised if we hear anything from them within the next 24 hours. I will keep you updated on what happens as all post-format war unfolds.

So, anyone that is still thinking of buying an HD-DVD player, don't bother. It's funny, I almost considered buying an HD-DVD player at Wal-Mart back in early November, when they had a special sale for an HD-DVD player model, which was $98. I didn't have an HDTV, and still don't for the moment, but thought of getting one for good quality movies. I am now glad that I didn't get it. When I get an HDTV, I will pick up a Blu-Ray player.

1 comment:

yvonne said...

Again, thank you for keeping us all informed ; )

I bet you are glad you waited to buy that HD-DVD player. See sometimes it pays to be patient.