Monday, July 14, 2008

Hype for the Dark Knight

Well the weekend has come and gone, and Hellboy 2 took the number one spot this weekend, Journey to the Center of the Earth took third place, and Meet Dave crashed in 7th place. That is the update for the new movies, Hancock was in second place, doing pretty solid.



Only 5 more days till the release of The Dark Knight. I have been reading a lot on the Dark Knight recently and I was thinking what has caused the hype for this movie to be so huge. It is definitely the most hyped movie of the summer, and could very well be the most hyped movie of the year. I want to go through some key why this is the most hyped movie of the year.

1. Batman Begins. It is an excellent movie, probably one of the best Batman movies to ever be made, The Dark Knight will probably beat that, but Batman Begins definitely helped set everything up for The Dark Knight. The ending for Batman Begins was with a hint of the Joker coming.



2. Heath Ledger as the Joker. The Joker is one of the most iconic villains in the Batman series. I was shocked to hear that he was playing the Joker. First of all, before I saw the first trailer, I had it set in my mind that there is no way that anyone could beat out Jack Nicholson’s performance of the Joker, in which I thought was great. I looked at Heath Ledger and didn’t really see him as a villain, but when I watched the first trailer before the movie I Am Legend, I was completely blown away by how amazing the performance was, I had a hard time believing that was Heath Ledger, and even today when I watch any of his clips online, I still don’t see Heath Ledger, I see the Joker. On a side note, with Heath Ledger gone now, that will get a lot of Heath fans out to the theaters to see his last performance, which should be spectacular.

3. Many other great performances. Christian Bale did an amazing job as Bruce Wayne/Batman in Batman Begins, so we are already expecting him to be excellent again, as well as Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Gary Oldman returning. We also have Maggie Gyllenhaal replacing Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes, and Aaron Eckhart joins the cast as Harvey Dent.



4. Harvey Dent. As you may know, district attorney Harvey Dent becomes Two Face; it will be interesting to see how he turns out. There are rumors that he does become Two Face in this movie.



5. Batpod. The new motorbike that Batman rides looks sweet. The Batmobile was sweet in the last movie, looks like they brought out an even sicker vehicle that comes “in black”.

6. Big movie. Everything about this movie is big. They even shot a few of the action scenes in IMAX format. IMAX is the largest format, and it can bring forth the best detail in a picture. The movie will also be released at the IMAX on the same day as in regular theaters; there have been people telling me they want to try to see the movie in the IMAX Theater.

So these are just some of the reasons why everyone is excited for The Dark Knight. Feel free to share some other opinions as to why you think everyone is looking forward to this movie. Once I see the movie, I will share my review for it.

1 comment:

yvonne said...

So, when do you get to see the movie?

I'm also curious about Journey to the Center of the Earth. Haven't heard much about it. Did you see it? If so, what did you think.

I think that Bat pod thing looks so cool. I saw Christian Bale on the Today Show and he was talking about how tough it was to ride.