Sunday, August 31, 2008

Summer Review

We had an excellent summer full of movies. I would like to give you a quick review on the movies that I had the chance to see this summer.

-The Dark Knight – The best Batman movie I have seen, and for sure the best movie to come out this summer. The main attraction for the movie is the Joker, Heath Ledger’s performance is incredible, every time he is on the screen you are just drawn to him. There are other things that made The Dark Knight a hit, lots of action, a very well written story, lots of twists, excellent performances, and how about the Batpod. Well-done Christopher Nolan.

-Wall-E – Disney/Pixar’s recent creation, and probably one of their best. It is different than the other films released by Pixar, but it truly stands out. If anyone ever had concerns on giving a robot emotions in a movie should see this. I was really impressed by it. How can you not watch the movie and fall in love with the robot Wall-E I am close to saying that out of the Pixar films, that this one has become my new favorite.

-Iron Man – Probably the biggest surprise of the summer. I was not expecting much when I first saw it. Robert Downey Jr. was great, and the story was good as well. Congratulations on developing a movie that exceeded expectations.

-Kung Fu Panda – I really like kung fu movies like Hero, and this was an excellent offering by DreamWorks Animation. It is filled with humor, action, and a good story. And the animation is cool to look at as well.

-Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull – The new Indy movie proved to be a fun ride for me, and yes some of the elements in the movie were less impressive, but the opportunity to see Indiana Jones in action on the big screen was good enough for me. Also the return of Karen Allen made it more fun, being the one Indy girl I like the most.

-Get Smart – A really funny slapstick comedy. Looking for something to just sit back and laugh till it hurts, this is a movie for you. Steve Carrell is really funny in this.

-Traitor – The one summer movie that probably isn’t getting that much attention, but I highly recommend it. There were a lot of great performances by Don Cheadle and Guy Pearce. As well as many twists and turns in the movie.

-Hancock – Will Smith plays a superhero that you would not want as your kid’s role model, well, at least for the first part of the movie. I do think this was another great performance by Will Smith. It was fun to watch the movie, different than what I expected and there were some really interesting twists to the movie.

-Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian – The sequel to The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe back in 2005. This was a good film. Lots of neat special effects, and of course a lot of neat Christian references.

-Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D – This movie wasn’t really on my to see list, but I decided to take a look into it, besides at my job I get to see movies for free. I found this movie to be rather entertaining, very enjoyable. My only complaint was the 3D glasses got annoying, but the movie was still a fun ride.

-The Incredible Hulk – A rather surprising movie, after Ang Lee’s less than impressive interpretation back in 2003, they decided to redo the franchise, 5 years is pretty quick. I really enjoyed this new one. Edward Norton was a good Bruce Banner, I also enjoyed Tim Roth as the villain.

-Speed Racer – Probably one of the most expensive flops ever, but a very visually interesting movie. I thought it was good, and yes it is very different and will not appealing to many, but was still fun to watch.

-Hellboy 2: The Golden Army – It has been four years since I saw the first one, wasn’t really a fan of the first one. I did enjoy this new one, it is visually different than what I have seen in a long time. After seeing it, I want to check out the first one again.

-Star Wars: The Clone Wars – George Lucas’s recent entry in the Star Wars series, just not what you would expect. It is a computer-animated version that is to help jumpstart the new TV show that will air this fall. Very cheesy but has a few entertaining moments. Not recommended to anyone that isn’t a hardcore fan of the Star Wars series. I wouldn’t even be surprised if it shows up on TV soon.

-The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor – Probably one of the most disappointing sequels I have seen in a while. The sad part was they took a lot of the elements that made The Mummy franchise so appealing, And with the changes made, it could have had potential to be a great summer movie, but it just fell flat on the floor. Still had some fun moments though.

I am curious with many of you out there, what was your favorite movie this summer? Feel free to respond in the comment section.

1 comment:

yvonne said...

I loved Dark Knight, and I'd have to agree that Ironman was great, too. I'd agree with pretty much everything you said.

I still want to see Kung Fu Panda and Prince Caspian