Monday, November 22, 2010

Tron Legacy could be a milestone in 3D



I have presented my opinion on 3D on numerous occasions, especially this year where we had quite a few 3D movies. My biggest argument is that 3D can be very effective as long as it is shot and created in 3D, and not a last minute conversion. But I think not only will Tron Legacy be a great 3D movie, but I really do think that it will be an effective 3D movie. Let me explain, the purpose of 3D should not be a gimmick, as some movies have been in 3D, it should be more of an experience, and that is where 3D is very effective. How To Train Your Dragon was a very effective 3D movie mainly for the parts where Hiccup and Toothless are flying, you feel like you are really flying with them. Tron takes place in the computer world, almost like virtual reality, and it is fair to have you feel like you are really in this computer world with the characters, and therefore the 3D would be very effective. I even heard that the scenes in the real world will be in 2D, and that the computer world would be in 3D, I don’t know if that’s exactly true, but we will find out. Almost like The Wizard of Oz, where the beginning and end scenes are in black and white, then the land of Oz is in color. This year had left a bitter taste for 3D, mainly because of the cheap 3D conversions, and the expensive prices. Whatever the case may be, we need some really good 3D movies that will bring back the enthusiasm of the format, I don’t think every movie should be in 3D, but I don’t think it should be totally dismissed either. Tron Legacy could bring back that enthusiasm.

What is Tron?



I have talked a bit about Tron Legacy for a while and that it would be arriving in theaters this December. I don’t think I have talked about Tron itself. Tron is a movie that was released back in the 80s, 1982 to be exact, and it played a huge role in the history of filmmaking. It helped establish computer animation. So why haven’t you heard about it, well, Tron wasn’t a box office hit, in fact, it basically flopped when it was released. Why do we even have a sequel for it if it flopped all these years ago? For starters, even though it didn’t do well at the box office, it did gain cult status once it hit video, that tends to happen to a lot of movies, fail in theaters but it becomes huge when it arrives on video. Let me share another example, The Wizard of Oz was not a hit when it was released in 1939. But in the coming years, it became a huge hit, and it is now a classic around the world. Tron has experienced the same thing, while not everyone loves it, it is a big movie, and has become a milestone in the history of computer animation. Will you need to see Tron to know exactly what is going on in Tron Legacy, I don’t believe so, especially if they are withholding all the copies of Tron from stores like Best Buy. If it’s an important movie, why pull it off the shelves before the sequel is released. Disney’s fear is that the special effects are outdated and that people might just laugh off the idea of seeing Tron Legacy because the old one may not be as good. I could understand the fears, but I feel that Tron should be watched, while things have advanced since, it does play an important role in our culture. So if you can find it for rental or maybe there is an old copy laying around your home or something, watch it. However, do expect the original Tron to be released again on DVD and Blu-Ray when Tron Legacy makes it to Blu-Ray and DVD next year.

What can we expect for promotional material for Tron Legacy?



I had to put this in because there is a lot of great promotional material. When I say promotional material, I am talking about soundtrack, video games, and other little goodies. First off, the big thing I am sure many are looking forward to, including myself, is the Tron Legacy soundtrack which is done by Daft Punk. Every time I hear samples for the soundtrack, I get very excited and it is one CD I want to get. You can find samples by following this link.



As well, we have video games that are coming out the beginning of next month. You can find them for all systems, one of the cool things that I found out is Tron Evolution for the Playstation 3 will have the capability of playing the game in 3D, so if you have a 3DTV then you can play the game in 3D and you can use the Playstation in Motion wand (which is like a Wii remote) to move around, and by the sounds of it, it really makes you feel like you are in the game, kind of like virtual reality, huh. Speaking of virtual reality, you should check out this video that was made back in 2007.

Even if you don’t have a Playstation 3 or a 3DTV, there are other Tron Evolution games coming out, for the Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii, the one for the Nintendo Wii is called Tron Evolution Battle Grids, which should be a fun game.



So yes, it like there will be cool video games for Tron.

Other things that I have heard about is a new Tron ride at Disneyland, involving the light cycles, those that have seen the original movie will know what I am talking about. There will also be a TV show that will be released in 2012, called Tron Uprising. I believe there are many other things, exciting.

Well, whatever you think of Tron Legacy, one thing is for certain, it will be a huge movie next month. Hopefully it will generate good word of mouth and become a box office hit.

No comments: