Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Top 23 Most Anticipated Movies of 2023

It's that time again, to give my list of my most anticipated movies of the coming year, this time for 2023, and looking at all the offerings that we are suppose to get, there are many that won't be on this list that I will be keeping an eye on. This feels like a year of abundance of movies, so we will see how this year shapes.

23. Wildwood - First off, I don't know if we actually getting this movie this year, but it's Laika Studio's next offering, and it's directed by Travis Knight who directed Kubo and the Two Strings. If it comes out, I will be seeing it.

22. Shazam Fury of the Gods - I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, and this one appears to have much of the fun that was in the first one, and just seeing an expansion of the lore looks like this could be a very fun movie.

21. How Do You Live - Once again, I don't know if we will be getting this movie, but it's Hayao Miyazaki's latest movie, supposedly his last one, unless he comes out of retirement again after. Japan is getting this in the summer, hopefully we get it before the end of the year.

20. Fast X - Yes, I did put the latest movie of the Fast franchise on my list, I don't know if it will deliver, but I do look forward to seeing what craziness they come up with next, they went to space, so maybe they will go to the center of the earth or go back in time. 

19. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Next Chapter - Last time we got a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie for the big screen was in 2016, and I enjoyed it as a one time watch for a few laughs, but with Seth Rogen helping out here, I think there could be some great passion here. Can't wait.

18. Haunted Mansion - Still have not seen the Haunted Mansion movie from 2003, but that doesn't mean I'm not anticipating a new movie on the classic theme park ride. I don't know much about this, but I got to think this will be a fun movie.

17. The Marvels - Captain Marvel was a movie I enjoyed quite a bit back in 2019, not a favorite, but the 90s aspect of it was fun. I look forward to what happens with the Captain Marvel character next, but the character I'm excited to see adventures for next is Ms Marvel after her show this past year.

16. 65 - Dinosaurs vs Adam Driver, sold. We were given a trailer for it recently and that was enough to get me really pumped for this movie. I have no clue how it will be but also it is worked on by the creators of A Quiet Place, so that brings up my anticipation a few more notches.

15. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - With the DC as it is about to be rebooted, why should I care about another movie with this iteration of this character. The reason isn't regarding continuation, but more about how much I enjoyed the adventure in the last movie, and just look forward to another adventure in this world.

14. Coyote Vs Acme - Have this here mainly because of the premise of the movie. So this is about Coyote, the one who is trying to get that Road Runner in the Looney Tunes cartoon, where he feels he has been sold faulty rockets and all, and decides to sue Acme as a result. Seriously this premise sounds rather intriguing, can't wait.

13. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - Many of you are probably confused why I have a new Transformers movie on here. Let me start with the first reason, Michael Bay is not directing this one, hoping this will bring a new direction. Second, this involves the Beast Wars characters which I was a fan as a kid. Third, I enjoyed Bumblebee, which brings hope to me for this franchise.

12. Suzume - Ever since Your Name, I have become a fan of Makato Shinkai's work. Yes, I saw two other of his works before this but Your Name was the one that really pointed me to his work. The trailers have been visually stunning and I can't wait to uncover the mystery of this movie when it arrives in theaters in April.

11. Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves - Not really grown up playing Dungeons and Dragons, but for some reason, when I saw this trailer, it really grabbed my attention, and just looks like it will be a ton of fun. I don't know if this will deliver, but I would at least it would bring on the fun.

10. Elementals - Pixar's next movie on their radar. I really enjoy their original stories they try to tell, and I really like when they to create brand new unique worlds to tell their stories, like the mind in Inside Out. This feels like it has vibes to Inside Out and the fact that this will be Pixar's return to theaters for originals after a few movies being sent to Disney+, I'm excited to see this one.

9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Just because the last Indiana Jones wasn't a slam dunk, or an unfortunate rebound, that doesn't mean I'm done with the series. The only concern is that Steven Spielberg isn't directing this, but we have James Mangold coming to direct this and he has done many great movies. Plus that recent trailer really got me pumped.

8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 - Back in 2014, we got a Marvel movie that surprised many of us, which was Guardians of the Galaxy, it got my attention and it blew me away. It has been six years since we got our last stand alone entry for Guardians of the Galaxy, but I'm ready for one last ride with these characters and see how they deliver a great finale. Also very glad they brought back James Gunn to direct.

7. Super Mario Bros - Since I was a child, I have been a huge fan of the Super Mario Bros, I played the Nintendo games quite frequently. I will admit, I enjoyed the 1993 live action movie, and no it's not a good movie, but I do find joy watching it for how unusual the experience is. However, this is something that really captures my imagination of the world and captures the vibes of all these games, which I didn't think we would ever get. Each trailer gets me more and more excited, and I can't wait. 

6. Ghostbusters Afterlife 2 - The latest movie we got in 2021 was one of my favorites of that year, mainly because it brought back many emotions of the series, especially from the first movie, and it was a movie that was very special for me as a result with these connections to Egon Spengler. I'm stoked to see what they do next with the set of characters that they have introduced in the latest movie, especially with the Spnegler kids. Also, with them coming back to New York, I'm curious where they go from here.

5. Oppenheimer - Christopher Nolan is one of those filmmakers that I keep an eye on each time he reveals his next movie, and Oppenheimer is no exception. I don't know much about the real life events regarding this man that is being portrayed, but I did get to see the trailer as it was playing in IMAX theaters before Avatar The Way of Water, and the scope of the movie was enough to really blow me away and I want to see it day one, in IMAX of course.

4. Ant Man and the Wasp Quantumania - Ant Man has become of those characters that I really like in the MCU, each of his movies are very enjoyable. I like the small scale of these movies, and that they have done some rather fun things. This one is this high for many reasons, one is I have been interested in seeing more of the Quantum Realm since it's been introduced, and this movie promises us a great trip there, and that we get a large scale villian who will play a key role here. I'm very stoked.

3. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 - Each Mission Impossible movie has gotten better and better I feel, with the latest one being an incredible spectacle that I was not expecting to be reached. This is suppose to be the first part of a two part finale of the Mission Impossible series, and all I can say that if this movie delivers what the first teaser showed us, then I think we can be in for something incredible. Count me in for day one at the IMAX to see this.

2. Spider Man: Across The Spiderverse - It's been a few years since we got the first animated version of Spider Man, and it is still one of, if not the best, Spider Man movie we have seen. It's still worth rewatching to this day and just a mind blowing experience. I can't wait to see where they take us with this new one, and not only would the mind blowing journey be amazing, but I think this could have a very impactful story. Waiting these few months will be difficult.

1. Dune: Part 2 - The first Dune movie was incredible, it was a spectacle that was just begging to be seen on the biggest screen possible. With the crew returning for the second one, I'm expecting nothing short of what we got before, in which I will be seeing on the IMAX screen. Also, the additional cast that they have added for this continuation seems to be incredible. Everything about this movie, even without seeing a trailer, I'm expecting this to be the best movie of the year. Sounds like a long shot, but the first was my favorite in 2021 so I think it has a great shot here. 



So this is my list of anticipated movies of 2023. Will these deliver, we shall see, but it looks to be an incredible year for movies, that's for sure. 

No comments: