Monday, January 2, 2023

Top 10 of 2022

 It's that time again, time to rank my top 10 favorite movies of the year. This is not going to be everyone's favorites of the year, but these are the ones that had more of the bigger impact on me this year, so here we go.



10. Weird: The Al Yankovic Story - This one was not on my radar at all, but once it came out on Roku, me and a few friends watched it, and I was laughing non stop. This is not a biography on Weird Al, but more of a parody. This brought on my biggest laughs of the year.


9. Thirteen Lives - Got to watch recently, and I did not know the whole story of the kids getting rescued from the cave, so all this unfolding made me wonder how they would get them out, and how it unfolded was crazier than I was expecting it to be. As well, this had fantastic performances as well.


8. Puss N Boots: The Last Wish - I saw the trailers a while back and it looked like a fun story, and I was looking forward to it, but I didn't think it would be more than just a fun story, there was a bit of a deeper meaning for the main character's journey and how he sought his nine lives back for selfish reasons, and how this was an exploration of his character, not something I was expecting from a sequel to a spinoff.


7. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - How do you make a sequel to a movie without your leading star from the original movie, that was something I found very compelling, but I felt this movie dealt with that obstacle very respectfully. This movie deals with grief of the loss of a main character, and a leader, and how that affected the nation and the rest of the characters. Plus this took us to some cool new locations.


6. Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio - Learned about this earlier in the year, but the later trailers grabbed my attention. I got to catch this one in theaters, and it was incredible in terms of the experience. The crafting of the characters was just amazing and the world was just incredible. Not only that, I thought it had a very solid story. Rather more impactful for me.


5. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery - Can a sequel top the original movie? I think so, does it do it here, I'm not ready to answer that yet. However, I can say that this was a sequel outdid my expectations, and rewatching the movie, especially knowing the ending, is a rewarding experience where I have caught many more things than I expected. Another one I was really glad I got to see in theaters.


4. The Batman - Well, it's been a decade since the last solo Batman movie, and there were plenty of questions on this one. I was really impressed with this one, the scope and the design of the world worked perfectly and there were excellent performances, even ones I wasn't expecting much from. I will admit that this is a bit long and a little too dark where I haven't rewatched as much, but this movie has left an impact. 


3. Avatar: The Way of Water - Exploring a world such as Pandora, you would figure that we saw everything in the first movie, well that's not the case, we get to explore the oceans of Pandora, and they are amazing to behold, seeing this new aspect of the world is mind blowing. Also, the motion capture and rendering of the characters is amazing. This is another one of those movies that I really think seeing the movie in 3D is the way to go, IMAX 3D, which helps immerse you into the movie more. But this is an immersive experience that you won't forget if you see it in theaters.


2. Everything Everywhere All At Once - Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness was my most anticipated movie of the year, and while I really did like it, I felt this one more than outdid it. In terms of story and performance, and also the use of exploring the multiverse was awesome, and rather crazy. Also the cool part was how they took such a huge concept such as the multiverse and told a more personal story. I have been a fan of Michelle Yeoh for years and I feel this is one of her best performances, plus getting Ke Huy Quan was great as well. This is one of those movies that can be rewatched many times. 


1. Top Gun Maverick - Never expected this honestly, this was a movie that was suppose to come out in 2020, and of course world events prevented it. I was okay with the delays, not the length, but the trailers gave the impression that I wanted to see this movie on the biggest screen first. Well, two years later, and this was a much better movie than I was expecting. I was expecting to be wowed by the aerial sequences, which is why I wanted to see it each year we were suppose to get it, but this movie featured a story that had more of an impact, and was somewhat reflective on the circumstances and choices of a character and how that can affect things, but how the main character can come back on top. The wait was worth it to experience this movie in IMAX but thankful it was more than I was expecting.



So this is my personal top 10 of the year, and I'm really excited to see what 2023 brings.

No comments: