Friday, December 21, 2018

Movie releases during Christmas 2018

As you can tell, this Christmas has a ton of movies that have been released. You have a ton to choose from, from Aquaman to Mary Poppins Returns. The hard part is to choose what to go see. However, if you are me, you just go ahead and see all of them, but I am sure there are many of you that can only see one of two, so I am going to give a recap on each one to help you get an idea of what each one contains and the hard part, sort of ranking them, which will be mainly on preference here.

Let’s start with Spider Man Into The Spiderverse. This is my top pick of the Holiday season. This movie was excellent, the animation style was so unique, plus it had a great story and characters. I have already seen it twice and look forward to seeing it again, and yes that will make it my third time but this movie is worth so many views. I understand we have so many Spider Man movies already but this one gives us a fresh take on the character(s) and gives us a really awesome premise. This one is a must see, and based on the online reactions, it looks like everyone agrees. This one is my top pick to go see this Holiday season.

Believe it or not, Bumblebee is a breathe of fresh air after all the previous Transformers movies that were made with no real thought, and this one was made with care. From the director of Kubo and the Two Strings, Travis Knight comes in and adds heart to the story, and simply takes out the excess and simplifies the Transformers, it feels so much easier to follow, and you will find yourself caring about the characters and what they go through. This takes place in the 80s and does have the feel of an 80s movie. Honestly, overall this is a good movie with a heart and I do recommend checking it out, I worry this will probably not get as much attention but I think it’s worth checking out. 

If you want an insane fun spectacle with lots of action and tons of creative visuals with the feels of an Saturday morning cartoon, Aquaman is the movie for you. This movie was a blast from start to finish. The worlds we are taken to are just amazing, and you get a fun little treasure hunt adventure in the mix. In fact, I plan to check this one out in IMAX soon. I know DC doesn’t have a great track record, and even if you aren’t a fan of the DCEU and you like what I listed above, you will have fun. Also, you really don’t need to see the other DCEU movies to enjoy this, so I highly recommend checking this one out.

An iconic character returns after 55 years, though 25 in movie land, Mary Poppins Returns does have the feel of the old movie, and also does take the majority of the beats from the old movie as well, and gives you a few different variations, so this movie is somewhat new yet very familiar. Enjoying this movie comes down to how much you are a fan of the original and also if you really enjoy musicals, if those are your things, then check this out, you will have a good time. (I will post a full review soon)

The last one I want to bring up is Mortal Engines. Unfortunately, because of an already crowded season, this is one I say you could pass, the visuals are amazing and the idea of moving cities are really cool, and there is a lot of potential, but it seems like the great story isn’t fully realized, which is unfortunate as the visuals are really cool. If you are still interested in seeing this, then go ahead and check, but if this didn’t really interest you, then you can pass.

I do plan to see Welcome To Marwen soon, and when I do, I will share my thoughts. Also, if you want more thoughts on the movies I listed above, I posted individual reviews for each one as I saw them. Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Always so glad when you post. I love reading what you wrote. Hopefully will get to one or two over the next couple of weeks.