Friday, May 19, 2017

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance coming to Netflix

Yesterday, I came across some really excellent news, news that I became cynical that I would ever hear, or see any real development out of. That is to see anything continuation of The Dark Crystal on the big or little screen.

I was first introduced to the world of The Dark Crystal back in 2000 when I decided to rent the movie from my local video store (back in the days when there were actual video rental places). I was captivated by the world that I was introduced to, it was incredible to see. What also really caught my attention was how much went into creating this world.

I first heard of the possibility of a Dark Crystal sequel being worked on back in 2007, and for the next 4 years I watched earnestly for any more news on the subject, just to see any possibility get shut down. I was really disappointed that it was shut down after years of hoping, but while I was somewhat cynical towards anything happening, I still held on to hope that something would come forth one day.

Over the years after hearing the sequel was cancelled, we started to get a lot of great Dark Crystal material. We got a prequel novel series, the first book being Shadows of the Dark Crystal, which came out last year, with the sequel called Song of the Dark Crystal coming out in two months. There was a couple of Manga style books that came out in 2007 which also gave us a story before the events of the movie. Comic books called Dark Crystal Creation Myths have also come out. All this material coming out proved that there was a deep appreciation for this world we have been introduced to, and how many are finding new stories to help expand and enrich this world that we have come to love.

And earlier this year, a comic book series came out for the proposed sequel I had been waiting for, The Power of the Dark Crystal, I have read the first two issues that have come out and the illustrations are incredible, they are just gorgeous to look at, plus the story is very intriguing. While I would have preferred to have it released as a motion picture, I was excited for it because I would get to see the story we were hoping for a decade ago, and maybe, just maybe, we will see some kind of film of The Dark Crystal in the future.


Well, yesterday, we were greeted by a trailer that announced a 10 episode series produced by Netflix and The Jim Henson Company entitled The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, which will be a prequel series before the events of the movie. This preview gave us a glimpse to the world that is being created, and what was interesting was that they seemed to blend very well, meaning that they used old footage from the making of the original and then making of the series, and there were  moments I had a hard time telling which is which, and that tells me that the world will be identical to the one we were introduced to 35 years ago. Also, being released by Netflix, which gives me high hopes that this will be treated well, we got a series called Stranger Things last year and that was a very entertaining series. As far as a release date, I have none, all I do know is that it will begin shooting in the Fall (again no set date), but the wait will be extremely hard. But whatever that date is, I will make sure to get my Netflix device and everything ready for it’s release when it happens.

No comments: