Thursday, April 22, 2010

Avatar Blu-Ray and 3D conversion

Avatar is now out on Blu-Ray and DVD, I recommend getting the Blu-Ray version, especially if you are thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player in the future, because it also comes with a DVD copy. But I watched it tonight, and it is stunning on Blu-Ray, the detail is amazing and just looks gorgeous to look at. Pick it up today. It isn't in 3D, but honestly, because 3D HDTVs are in the beginning process, I would rather wait to see an Avatar 3D Blu-Ray release when they finally get all the bugs worked out.

Speaking of 3D, the one thing I am getting sick of seeing that seems to be getting bigger is making movies 3D at the last possible moment. Just today, they announced that they were going to convert The Last Airbender into 3D. I do believe that movies can be great in 3D, but it should not be an after thought. I recently watched Clash of the Titans in 3D, and it was one of those movies that they decided to convert to 3D two months before the release date, I enjoyed it in 2D, and it didn't need to be 3D, in fact, there really wasn't anything great about it being in 3D, except for the part with the Kraken and Medusa. Avatar was excellent in 3D because it was a movie where they decided when they were making it that they would film it in 3D, and not convert it afterwards. Even a movie like "How to Train Your Dragon" was great in 3D, the depth was excellent, and it worked. But when you take a movie that was shot in 2D, and convert it to 3D, it doesn't work as well, and there isn't much depth level. I do think that 3D has a great future, but it needs to be done properly to be effective.

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

I'm very disappointed because my copy on Blu-Ray wouldn't play. I played the DVD copy on my Blu-Ray and it was great.